Creamy Scallop, Shrimp And Clam Penne
Scallops, shrimp and baby clams come together in a creamy base atop penne for a meal that memories are made of. If cream, pasta and seafood isn’t the most delicious food combination then I don’t know what is. It’s no surprise that the Japanese are responsible for the term umami considering the large amount of seafood, mushrooms and soups that make up their cuisine.
A rather modest assortment of foods combine flavour forces. This was a really great opportunity to try out a wonderful culinary art of starting sauces with a mirepoix. More on that because we are just mad about mirepoix at the moment!
We made a white mirepoix consisting of garlic, celery and mushrooms. There is always a member of the lily family involved but we did not use onion. If you make this dish for no other reason than to smell a mirepoix simmering, it will have been worth it.
The aroma emanating from the pan before I added the seafood was nearly enough to stop there. Salt is nearly optional since the celery has salt content along with the clam juice. The fine dicing and simmering extracts the flavour so well.
Rounding out third into home, this sauce is nearly done. I was freaking a little because it seemed like a chowder almost. Once it was thickened up a little it was perfect. Admiteddly, starting with a mirepoix for a pasta sauce is not exactly typical. Hey, this is the FlavourFull™ kitchen after all!
The anticipation is great and the realisation is even greater with this hearty pasta dish. For a more refined less “paysan” result, lessen the cream and omit the butter. The best recipes are the shared ones so let everyone in on the flavour with a little print and pass.
- 1 can clam (juice reserved)
- 3/4 cups scallops (defrosted or fresh)
- 3/4 cups shrimp (uncooked)
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tbsps cornstarch and water dissolved
- Cutting Board
- Knife for dicing
- Large saute pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Colander for draining pasta
- Penne Pasta
- Dashes parsley, clove
- Finely dice and chop celery, mushroom and garlic
- Heat sautee pan before adding the mirepoix veggies.
- Allow the veggies to wilt before adding clam juice.
- Add reserved clam juice to the mirepoix then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add the butter to the broth base once well-simmered and salt.
- Add the seafood to the mirepoix and combine then cook on medium heat.
- Add cream and stir into then simmer continue cooking until scallops opaque and shrimp are pink.
- Add grated mozzarella and stir until melted.
- Add the corn starch mixture and stir on high heat until thickened then remove from heat source.
- Serve atop cooked penne.
- Shrimp with the shell on are suggested because they add more flavour to the sauce.
Don’t miss another post! Subscribe to The FLAVOURFULL Press by email for more delectable delights.
For instant updates and trending food topics, FOLLOW US on Twitter.
ADD US on Google and check out our gorgeous galleries!
SHOP FlavourFully in our Etsy Store as well. Remember to comment below & Share for all the Flavour Lovers you know!